[WSIS CS-Plenary] letter from UN ICT TF to Forum participants

Frannie Wellings wellings at epic.org
Thu Apr 8 15:16:35 BST 2004

United Nations Nations Unies
INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGIES TASK FORCE
SECRETARIAT
Room DC1-1464, One UN Plaza, New York, N.Y. 10017
Telephone: (1-212) 963-5796 Fax: (1-917) 367-4340 or ((1-212) 963-2812
e-mail address: icttaskforce at un.org Website address: www.unicttaskforce.org

Dear Global Forum Participant,

On behalf of the United Nations Information and
Communication Technologies (ICT) Task Force, we
would like to extend our deep appreciation for
your valuable contribution to the Global Forum on
Internet Governance. More than 300 participants -
Task Force members, leaders of the Internet
community, government officials and
representatives of the private sector, civil
society and academia - engaged in an open and
inclusive dialogue, sharing their perspectives,
concerns and vision for the Information Society
of the future.

The feedback that we received from many
participants indicates broad satisfaction with
the Forum as a useful and productive event. The
discussions were free and open and there was
respect for the diversity of views expressed by
various stakeholders. There was also genuine
dialogue and a willingness to find common ground
and areas of agreement, in order to move forward
on this difficult issue. The Forum, thus,
provided an important opportunity to enhance our
understanding of the many issues that fall under
the rubric of Internet governance, to clarify the
positions of the many stakeholder groups and to
discover and broaden common ground among them.

We detected broad support for a number of
baseline principles that should guide the
evolution of
governance arrangements. Some issues were also
identified on which international cooperation is
required and there was general recognition of the
need for effective participation of developing
countries and civil society in governance
arrangements. The Task Force was asked to
undertake several tasks, including
capacity-building and education and
awareness-raising. It was also requested to
develop a matrix of the current status of
governance of non-technical issues.

We would like to assure you that all statements
and interventions during the Plenary sessions and
the
thematic break-out discussions were carefully
noted and the full range of views expressed will
be reflected in the summaries of the proceedings.
The Forum will constitute an important
contribution to the Secretary-General's
consultations on Internet governance, leading up
to the formation of a Working Group on the
subject.

The UN ICT Task Force intends to continue to
contribute to the consultation process, including
through its regional networks, to ensure that the
overall outcome preserves the freedom, openness,
security and stability of the Internet and, as
the Secretary-General urged in his opening
statement, makes the medium "accessible and
responsive to the needs of all the world's
people".

We encourage you to remain engaged in this
process and to continue to build on a good
beginning to
ensure that the Internet remains a vital, dynamic
medium for promoting human development.

With our best regards.

José-Maria Figueres-Olsen
Chairman

Sarbuland Khan
Executive Coordinator

Frannie Wellings
Policy Analyst, Electronic Privacy Information Center
Coordinator, The Public Voice
1718 Connecticut Ave. N.W., Suite 200
Washington, D.C.  20009   USA
wellings at epic.org
+1 202 483 1140 extension 107 (telephone)
+1 202 483 1248 (fax)
http://www.epic.org
http://www.thepublicvoice.org