[governance] Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] WGIG Progress Report

avri at acm.org avri at acm.org
Thu Dec 30 16:47:53 GMT 2004

On 30 dec 2004, at 04.46, Adam Peake wrote:

> Could you tell us about the role of observers, the intergovernmental
> organizations, who are they and what rights do they have? I'd guess
> observers can be called to speak but otherwise keep quiet, is that how
> it works?

I guess that is pretty much the rule, but then again it is pretty much
the rule for everyone: one asks to speak and eventually is called upon
to speak.  They do seem to speak with regularity.  But there may be a
subtlety to the rule I am missing.

> And for the open/close session, are onlookers also bound by the
> semi-Chatham house rules you have adopted?

I think the open sessions are open and not bound by those rules.  All
of the closed sessions are covered by 'Chatham house' rules, which seem
to be followed to a varying degree.

> Anyway: substance.
>
> You say "And please, come with concrete, innovative but short papers."
>
> I can think of things I'd like to comment on, but just writing on some
> subject and throwing it to the working group is a bit vague.

Well as I indicated in the note I sent a while back, using the
inventory issues that was put on the WGIG list:
http://www.wgig.org/docs/inventory-issues.html , might be a start.

In terms of what one writes, I think they should write on something
that is important to them. Certainly for me, what I value about the
civil society is the multitude of perspectives on the issues.

Also I think approaching the problem in a way similar to the WGIG team
needs to, may be helpful, i.e.
http://www.wgig.org/docs/Template.14.12.04.html.

> Could you --perhaps all of you who joined the WGIG via the WSIS CS--
> tell us what issues you'd like to hear people's ideas on, what
> questions you have that we might all discuss.

I would personally be interested in short position papers on any of the
inventory issues which indicate what the writer thinks is broken and
what is working well in terms of current governance processes.

a.