[WSIS CS-Plenary] WGIG Progress Report

Nnenna nne75 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 30 19:23:11 GMT 2004

For one reason or the other, I was just reading the CS declaration of Geneva and I will like to reiterate this:
It must be remembered thatthe Internet is not a singular communications "platform" akin to a public telephone network; it is instead a highly distributed set of protocols, processes, and voluntarily self-associating networks.Accordingly, the Internet cannot be governed effectively by any one organisation or set of interests. An exclusionary intergovernmental model would be especially ill suited to its unique characteristics; only a truly open, multistakeholder, and flexible approach can ensure the Internet's continued growth and transition into a multilingual medium. In parallel, when the conditions for system stability and sound management can be guaranteed, authority over inherently global resources like the root servers should be transferred to a global, multistakeholder entity.

The international community must have full and easy access to knowledge and information aboutICT global governance decision making.

Best

Nnenna