[WSIS CS-Plenary] Call for an international treaty on freedom of the Internet

Nabil El-Khodari webmaster at nilebasin.com
Fri Dec 31 20:23:27 GMT 2004

I totally agree with Nnenna. Though I would encourage establishment of an
international body to investigate complaints about use of Internet for
fraud, phishing, identity theft, etc. but NOT to police the internet. One of
its duties is also to receive complaints and respond to them regarding site
blocking and filtering. It should have the power to investigate and punish
(up to canceling domain name) of search engines that use these techniques in
response to government/corporations pressures.

I hope that an international agreement be reached to that effect and only on
receipt of legitimate complaints from users/companies and NOT governments.
Such agreement should express freedom of expression and freedom of the
Internet as an alternative source of information. It should protect
legitimate websites from blocking, filtering, etc. This agreement should be
ratified by all UN members.

Sincerely,

Nabil El-Khodari <mailto:webmaster at nilebasin.com>
Founder/Treasurer
Nile Basin Society
Tel.: +1 (647) 722-3256
Fax: +1 (647) 722-3273

http://nilebasin.com <http://nilebasin.com/>
http://nilebasin.net <http://nilebasin.net/>
http://nile.ca <http://nile.ca/>
108 Waterbury Dr.
Toronto, Ontario, M9R 3Y3
Canada

"If the people will lead, the leaders will follow." Dr. David Suzuki