[WSIS CS-Plenary] Structure of WSIS Phase 2

Amali De Silva amalidesilva at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 3 23:27:16 GMT 2004

Dear Djilali,

Here I have to put in my two ( Cnd) cents worth. The countries of the North and here I will speak about  Canada have been  very supportive of CS, providing funds for countries of the South to attend meetings when these opportunites were somewhat limited for their own Northern groups to attend.

In general the "northerners" put a lot of man-hours into the process to keep us CS moving which we have to appreciate. The South had every opportunity to particiapte on-line ( limited cost - only their own internet access and a computer) at the caucus and plenary level.

English we just have to admit is prevalent - I donot expect anyone to really be able to communicte with me in my own native language on-line - I just accept that - I am just pleased we can communicate at all! Not to say we must not encourage other  languages.

Now that the South can see that it is possible to participate on-line, form partnerships etc - they should strive to do so. They should create interest in their own countries and lobby their governments in an effective manner providing ideas and feedback.

Ok ! that is it from me, also a citizen of a developing country in Asia although representing a CS member of the North!

Amali De Silva-Mitchell
President Vancouver Community Network ( Canada )

djilali benamrane <dbenamrane at yahoo.com> wrote:
Dear Ralf,
It seems that things are already in progress but on
the same scheme that during the first phase Geneva
2003.... A little place for the so call International
Civile Society leaded by Major English spoken
associations mainly from the North.
Let's continue on this way and we will meet in Tunis
the same result than december 2003.
Djilali

Amali De Silva-Mitchell MSc.

Tel: 1-604-736-9012 & Email: amalidesilva at yahoo.com