[WSIS CS-Plenary] RE: Info for WSIS Phase 2

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Feb 4 08:43:13 GMT 2004

Dear Djilali,

The list of invited experts is online at
<http://www.itu.int/osg/spu/forum/intgov04/experts.html> Note,
invited as individual experts, not as civil society.

We do not know how selections were made, the ITU is presenting the
workshop as an internal event, they give justification for this in
the workshop announcement,
<http://www.itu.int/osg/spu/forum/intgov04/index.html>. But, if you
look back through email to the plenary list, you will see some
discussion of this (there was much more on the Internet governance
caucus list), see email around the last week of January and notes by
Wolfgang Kleinwächter, William (Bill) Drake, YJ Park, Richard Jordan
and myself.

Bill even asked if anyone from the Plenary would like to attend the
workshop, if so the caucus was considering how to submit names. No
takers at the time.  And seeing the latest ITU announcement (above),
it looks hard to add a person now. It is an expert meeting, so there
is no point in someone just attending to be civil society, and there
is no money to support travel, etc.

Active members of the civil society caucus invited to the workshop
are Wolfgang, Izumi Aizu (note Wolfgang and Izumi not yet listed on
the site, but have received their invitations), Bill Drake, Bertrand
de La Chapelle, Vittorio Bertola and Milton Mueller.  I think most on
the plenary list will be familiar with these names, except perhaps
Milton who joined for the Summit. All the others have been active
participants from the earliest prepcoms.  (for info, I believe both
RIPE and W3C are accredited as civil society in WSIS, perhaps also
the Berkman Center.)

Hope this helps.

And I hope anyone interested will please join the Internet governance
caucus list:

<mailto:governance-request at lists.cpsr.org?subject=subscribe>

Many thanks,

Adam