[WSIS CS-Plenary] Structure of WSIS Phase 2

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Feb 5 08:41:14 GMT 2004

>Hi all,
>
>have a look at this document for the ITU WSIS working group Wolfgang
>mentioned:
><http://www.itu.int/council/wsis/Geneva_04/Tunis-RoadMap.doc>
>
>It looks like there will be a twofold preparatory process:
>1. thematic (no regional) meetings and prepcoms for building concrete
>mechanisms for actions
>2. a parallel "Coordination Group" where the chart just says
>"stakeholders", for reviewing actions.
>
>Does anyone know about this "Coordination Group"? Will it be constructed
>like the ITU workshop, i.e. with limited participants (invited "key
>actors" / "experts" or whatever)? Or how else?

Would be good to know if this is just the ITU's proposal, or if more
fixed than that. The working group meeting the document is prepared
for is an internal ITU (member states and sector members) group.

>In general, it looks like this time there will be a heavy focus on the
>Action Plan and concrete implementation of the principles mentioned in
>the summit declaration.
>
>The themes will be much broader than just the "Internet governance" and
>"finance" issues  that have have gathered a lot of interest here and
>everywhere... Just look at the ITU stock taking attempts at
><http://www.itu.int/council/wsis/Geneva_04/stocktaking-update.doc>. They
>cover everything.
>
>In fact, the two working groups (in Internet governance and finance)
>could be a third parallel part of the process.
>
>We will have to think about:
>
>1. How do the working groups and the action plan implementation issues
>link together?
>2. How would we have to change our working structures accordingly, in
>order to be most effective and still bottom-up and inclusive?
>3. Do we want this structureat all? What else would we envisage? If we
>want to try to change this, we would have to act soon and coordinated.

Problem I see with the structure is the lack of any regional meetings.

OK, we don't know anything about the thematic meetings, if they are
envisaged as Tunis-based, or Geneva/New York (Paris).  However, I
think we should emphasize the importance of regional meetings and the
diversity they enable.

My 5 yen!

Thanks,

Adam