[WSIS CS-Plenary] bureau organization

William Drake wdrake at ictsd.ch
Tue Feb 17 13:29:55 GMT 2004

Hi Jean-Louis,

Thanks for your note, but just let me clarify my view, which I gather is a
little different from yours.  In raising the bureau issue at the CONGO
meeting in Geneva and here on the list, I was in no way criticizing Alain
and Louise, the bureau, or the families, and certainly was not implying that
the latter were created to 'monitor CS' as you suggest.  When this was done,
CS's organization was still nascent and fluid, the secretariat needed a
structure akin to the other bureaus that it could interface with, and that
structure needed constituent groupings behind it.  While some people have
expressed concerns about the resulting architecture and it's 'top down'
genesis (and I'll never forget attending a surreal meeting  at PC 2 where we
sat around trying to figure out if we were a 'social movement' or fit under
another of the labels), in the end everyone worked together and things went
pretty well.  So, no criticism implied.

The question is simply this.  Since that architecture was created, there has
been a bottom up blossoming of working groups and caucuses, and these groups
have lots of active and dedicated members, have generated texts and other
inputs, etc.  And let's be honest, the same can't be said of every one of
the families, which after all were categories offered to us that didn't
always attract big populations.  So as we look to the next phase of WSIS,
would it not make more sense for us to think about how we have actually
self-organized and have a bureau comprising people from the most active,
member-based groupings, irrespective of whether they're called families,
working groups, or caucuses?  I can't see any reason to continue having only
one type represented just because that's the structure that was established
long ago; path dependency with no feedback loops is not a good model.

To be clear, I recognize that the bureau just does process (although there
will be content covered in Tunis) and has done it well, that its function is
not really constituent 'representation' per se, and that it would take time
to devise a collectively agreed alternative, but I still think a more
diverse representation/involvement/whatever could be useful in terms of
information flow and overall coordination.  While I personally have no
interest in being on the bureau, there are others who might bring in new
energy with such a change.

We need to be a learning network, if not organization, and to assess
everything we've done so far---what worked, what sort of worked, what
didn't, and why---with an eye to strengthening the mechanisms for CS
participation.  This will be especially important because phase II looks to
be different in focus and dynamics.

Cheers,

Bill Drake