[WSIS CS-Plenary] Tunisia meeting & better defining ourselves..

richard t jordan richardjordan at lycos.com
Thu Feb 26 12:26:56 GMT 2004

--Hello, Wolfgang, et al, The weekly DPI (Dept. of Public Information) briefing for NGOs here at UN Headquarters on February 12 consisted of the Permanent Representative of Tunisia, Sara McCue, of UNDP, Therese Gasteau of DPI and myself, from NGOs. Sergei Kambalov of the UN ICT Task Force made an informal intervention from the audience during Q&A. There were a number of delegates also present.

Basically, this was informational only, what was the Summit like, what did it do, and introduced the Tunisian phase. Some delegates found the new (at that time) Canadian site of interest, since it contained Rik's synopsis of that Geneva meeting.

It was abundantly clear that NGOs in New York, and others for that matter, now realize (my view) that this process is one that would be valuable in which to be engaged.

What I did suggest, and it seemed a welcome proposal, was for some type of open-ended working group in New York, composed of anyone who wanted to participate, be formed to discuss what those in New York feel the second phase could deal with.

With few NGOs but myself from New York having been involved in the process from the beginning, there has always been a vacuum, so we will see how things work out here.

Cheers,
Richard

P.S. Agree with Robert about working on positive results for Tunis.