[WSIS CS-Plenary] Priority for WSIS Civil Soiciety

YJ Park yjpark at myepark.com
Sun Jan 25 14:53:03 GMT 2004

Dear all,

First of all, it's a good step for WSIS Civil Society plenary to start to be
engaged with Internet Governance debate in conjunction with Internet
Governance caucus.

Wolfgang wrote;

> I disagree with you evaluation. The points f.i. in 13 of the Action Plan
are specific recommendaitons for governments. You have to read both the
declaration and the action plan in all its parts and this signals a
different story. The overriding text (where 13 f & i is included) is:
> Article 48: "The internaitonal management of the internet should be
multilateral, transparent and democratic with the full involvment of the
governments, the private sector, civil society and internaitonal
organisations".

> Furthermore, Article 50 says, that the working group on IG  should be
organized as "an open and inclusive process that ensures a mechanism for the
full and active participation of governments, the private sector and civil
society both from developed and developing countries".

I respectfully disagree with your interpretation about WSIS declaration.
WSIS has been coordinated by mainly ITU who expressed their eagerness for
Internet Governance players. ITU held country code top level domain(ccTLD)
workshop last year early March and ITU has already coordinated ENUM
allocation etc. Now after controversial WSIS debate on Internet Governance,
ITU announed to the world that ITU is going to host Internet Governance
workshop ignoring WSIS Civil Society. The workshop will be "restrcitedly"
open to ITU's member states and sector members. And ITU handpicked so-called
"experts" as an individual.

We are not talking about the individuals who were invited by ITU. We, Civil
Society, should talk about where "Civil Society" is in that process which we
believed it would be "multilateral, transparent and democratic" as you
highlighted as below. This is not a good start at all for Civil Society.

> I would welcome if you could contribute to the Caucus debate by writing a
paper "What means "multilateral, transparent and democratic" in Global
Internet Governance?". The paper soud be no longer than 4 - 6 pages. It
could become a good platform for further discussions.

Wolfgang, writing a paper is one thing as an individual member of Internet
Governance caucus but collecting papers and presentng the views on behalf of
Civil Society in this process is another thing.

YJ