[WSIS CS-Plenary] List of NGO reps in Hammamet and question of govt. relation

jeanette at wz-berlin.de jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Mon Jun 7 18:42:08 BST 2004

> Do you think that the inclusion of CSO representative in the government
> delegation improves the chances of a better reflection of CSO inputs
> prioritised in the governmental input in the process, and thus a better
> lobbying by CSOs in this process?

Judging from the German situation, I'd say the main effect of being
members of the government delegation probably was public attention. The
german press got interested in this rather unusual type of collaboration.
Unlike the government representatives who were confined to their official
press releases, we could talk to the press and did indeed give lots of
interviews. For a day or two during the summit we were able to push issues
of importance to german CSOs.

While we had more or less zero impact on the political opinions and
priorities of the German government, we did at times form effective
coalitions with the ministry reps where we agreed on certain issues.

The fact that the EU tries to speak with one voice makes things a bit more
complicated in Europe. First, opinions need to be formed on the government
level across competing ministries. Thereafter, national positions need to
be coordinated at the European level. Participation in the government
delegation can also help to get the necessary information about who
supports what in these opaque networks.

Best, jeanette

Or it is just a governmental supprt of