[WSIS CS-Plenary] List of NGO reps in Hammamet and question of govt. relation

Atanu Garai atanu at takingitglobal.org
Tue Jun 8 08:32:28 BST 2004

Certainly getting sponsorship from the government is not the case at least
for OECD countries - the rationale as you and Christoph, Fullsack and
Chantal were pointing out, it seems at least in the EU level the objective
was to 1. promote the CSO voices across the discussion table, irrespective
of government's acceptance or formal endorsement of the CSO's strand 2. Give
the CSO of the respective country a greater visibility 3. and in fewer
cases, adhering to the CSO's strand in the formal governmental input. When
it comes to inputting the CSO perspective in the decision making, being part
of the governmental delegation/agenda makes a sense, isnt it? It seems
democratic from the government's point of view as well. But where the
opinion clashes, it is unlikely for you to make a partnership with the
government to vindicate your strand at this global forum.
On the other hand, all the fellowships are coming largely from governments
directly or indirectly - it is not very clear how CSOs could put forward
their conflicting viewpoints in this process without government support at
all.
Best
Atanu
TakingITGlobal