[WSIS CS-Plenary] List of NGO reps in Hammamet and question of govt. relation

Laurent Straskraba laurent at straskraba.net
Tue Jun 8 16:12:03 BST 2004

Dear all,

I would like to contribute to this discussion since I see it coming to
assumptions and not talking about facts.

First of all, we cannot say "the" CSOs. Civil society have a broad range,
including educational, political, developmental, environmental, scientific,
etc. commitment.

Secondly, even if it's the same kind of CSO, it also depends on the person
who is within the delegation what the input, throughput and output will be.

Thirdly, the fact that a CSO member is part of a governmental organization
doesn't say anything about the government's support. Not even supplying
media information about their blend.

Finally, it all depends on the people involved - and that is why we need to
get away from symbolicism to real issues.

As for the Austrian delegation, in addition to government (administrative
representatives) and an e-government company delegate, there were people
from universities, a rural development organization, the Austrian UNESCO
commission, a private school, and me as an independent researcher and
consultant.

I think it's a very good idea to be part of the delegation since one gets a
much better insight into how issues are being discussed, what is mentioned,
what''s not, who/what is a pushing/laming factor for information society
development, etc.

So if you have the chance to get into it, I'd recommend to take it.

Best,

Laurent

---
Mag. Laurent Straskraba
Information Society Researcher / Information Society Representative at UN
Youth & Student Association of Austria

post: Ontlstrasse 3, A - 4040 Linz, Austria / Europe
mobile: +43.650.7711861 (GMT +1)
e-mail: laurent at straskraba.net
web: http://www.straskraba.net
---