[WSIS CS-Plenary] larger process questions from Prepcom I / les questions de processus de Prepcom I

Robert Guerra rguerra at cpsr.org
Sat Jun 26 19:54:16 BST 2004

Jeanette:

This is not an issue that just has been raised now, both after the
summit and at the informal WSIS meeting in march the item was raised.
No discussion ensued on any of the lists - perhaps didn't think it
was important. But, now - luckily there's been a realization that
discussion, analysis and work needs to be done to have more effective
structures in place.

In case you and/or others haven't see it before - below is a URL of
the report Viola wrote for the CSB meeting in march. I've highlited
certain points which were raised which might serve for points to
start a discussion...

In regards to next steps - my personal comments are as follows....

Personally,  i don't think the plenary list is the best place for
discussion. I would suggest, instead that a NEW working group be
created, one with a given timeline to come up with a concrete set of
recommendations for reform.

I would envision the working group as consisting of  people and/or
organizations drawn  from :

- the governance caucus
- CS Bureau
- C&T
- organizations/individuals with UN lobbying experience
- HR caucus

Concrete deliverables:

1. Revision of CS Bureau (CSB)

I see it as a coordinating body, a neutral one at that, who's role it
is to provide a logisitical and facilitory role for the (real) CS
that's involved in the WSIS.

- For me, there isn't enough information written down on the exact
role and responsibility of the CSB. Currently, details are here -

  http://cms.privaterra.org/WSIS_CS_Bureau

- For the structure to be useful and serve as a precedent for future
processes, we must make sure that everything is properly documented.

- if you look at the existing documentation - there's nothing on
procedure and minimum commitments which it's members should...need to
perform. So i'd suggest a discussion leading to a clear statement on
what CS facilitation body is supposed to do, and then recompose the
body with some of the existing members and/or new ones.

To be honest, i'm disappointed by many of my colleagues on the CSB
who for intent and purpose aren't doing a thing. Perhaps they don't
have time - but , i think they just don't know what expected of them
- and so they do nothing. I don't want to be negative - instead,
identify the problem and how we can move forward.

If there's no precise documentation and procedures to follow -well,
let's spend a soft amount of time to create it. From there, let's get
a team together who's committed to actually "do something"

In summary, my proposed next steps :

- establishment of review/reform working group
- deadline of Fall 2004 to come up with recommendations, so that they
are in place before jan 2005.
- should include as a minimum, and  if possible members of governance
group, so that they can - suggest how to improve/revise CS's own
structures
- Revise documentation and structure of CS facilitation body (be it
the CSB, or something new)
- recommend set of core principles and rules of procedure to be
followed at CS meetings (be they plenary, or otherwise).

ie. Meetings  - list of participants needs to be taken,  meetings
needed to be called in advance in writing , that the announcement of
the meeting needed to be accompanied of an Agenda, both a Chair and a
Secretary needed to be elected Speaking order needs to be observed,
minutes (even informal) to be taken, and ways need to be found for
those not physically present to be able to participate.

In way - i'd way, we need to define process to follow, and make sure
those present are comitted to follow them.

that's it for now. I look forward to speaking with some of you on the
phone in the next few days...

regards

Robert

Report from the Civil Society Bureau Meeting @ Tunis, March 2004
http://cms.privaterra.org/WSIS_CSB_TUN0304_Report

The discussion then focused on the challenges of the CSB work in the
context of the Phase 2 scenario, which will be different from Phase
1. Several CS representatives expressed the need for clear procedures
when calling CS Bureau meetings, transparency and documentation about
the working mechanisms of the CS Bureau. It was suggested that all
Bureau meetings needed to be called in writing on the CS Bureau list,
that the announcement of the meeting needed to be accompanied of an
Agenda, both a Chair and a Secretary needed to be elected and minutes
(even informal) to be taken. Several CS representatives ­Renata Bloem
(NGOs), Robert Guerra (North America & Europe) and Viola Krebs
(Volunteers)‹ stressed the need for these procedures to always be
respected.

Ideas for the evaluation process of the CS Bureau

* Continuity and Documentation

* Lessons Learned

Lessons learned It is urgent to move forward with the evaluation,
think about some kind of a mechanism to confirm representativity of
the various representatives. Since each family has its own mechanisms
and structure, the evaluation needs to be flexible enough to match
those differences, but also ridged enough to actually be able to
really evaluate the work done so far, groups reached, etc.

* Confirmation of Focal points

* Non-representation of some regions

... there are some serious challenges, both linked to the
classification of countries such as Argentina and Mexico and the fact
language difficulties make participation quite difficult. Indeed, the
Tunisia official web site of the WSIS is only in French, English and
Arabic, but no Spanish. This language issue needs to be addressed.

http://cms.privaterra.org/WSIS_CS_Meetings

###
Robert Guerra <rguerra at privaterra.org>
Privaterra - <http://www.privaterra.org>