[WSIS CS-Plenary] spam or universal access ?

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Thu Mar 11 06:43:26 GMT 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:03:28 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

>2 cents from me - I have to admit when I see the pleas from Africa e.g. Niger which our colleague on the  CS plenary list  never fails to enlighten us about; I wonder as to what our CS priorities for humanity really are especially at a conference such as this ? Is it spam ( a junk mail annoyance for the Western world ) or universal access ?

I think it is anyway a matter of personal priorities - most of us are
volunteers, and usually each of us will devote his/her time mainly to a few
issues that he/she really deems important. So if you only get people who
care about spam, there's no practical way you can force them to deal with
universal access, and vice versa; it is a basic feature of bottom-up
efforts.

So while this:

>I do think the C&T team of phase 1 should re-mobilize and start on an action plan for phase 2 themes that CS wants to promote asap

might be a good idea, I think that we will then have to match this
"wishlist" with the availability of people on the specific issues. On the
other hand, raising some issues that really need to be addressed might be a
good way to have more people get interested in them.
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
http://bertola.eu.org/  <- Vecchio sito, nuovo toblòg...