[WSIS CS-Plenary] Virtual Participation - Establishment ofworking group?

Michael Gurstein mgurst at vcn.bc.ca
Thu Mar 11 19:05:55 GMT 2004

I'm really delighted to see the renewed interest in enabling electronic
participation in the WSIS process and particularly for Civil Society.

For those with an interest I would call your attention to an extensive
and I think quite useful discussion on precisely these issues in an
email list that was launched as an output of the Montreal Congress of
the Global Community Networking Partnership in 2002.  The archive is
accessible at http://vancouvercommunity.net/lists/arc/wsis-e-consult and
is useful particularly for the discussion of CS e-consultation in a
multilingual context. These discussions petered out when it became clear
the extent of resources required to undertake the tasks involved and
that few of these resources seemed to be accessible at that time.

I would also draw your attention to the work of Daniel Pimenta's group
Funredes of the Dominican Republic which through MISTICA has been
conducting these types of multi-lingual virtual discussions within a
primarily Latin American context for a number of years and who have I
believe developed considerable expertise and supportive software for
this purpose.

Best,

Mike Gurstein
Chair: (Global) Community Informatics Research Network
http://www.ciresearch.net