[WSIS CS-Plenary] Virtual Participation - Establishment ofworking group?

Daniel Pimienta pimienta at funredes.org
Mon Mar 15 21:34:10 GMT 2004

>I would also draw your attention to the work of Daniel Pimenta's group
>Funredes of the Dominican Republic which through MISTICA has been
>conducting these types of multi-lingual virtual discussions within a
>primarily Latin American context for a number of years and who have I
>believe developed considerable expertise and supportive software for
>this purpose.
Thanks to remind us Mike and sorry for being late and probably not up to date
on the current discussion to react.

I'm reading discussions about a platform which leaves out Linux users.
Certainly not a good idea in any context and much less in this one!
What platform are we talking about?
What functions is that platform supposed to offer?
Is it asynchronous or synchronous communications we are looking for?
Again sorry to catch out on the middle of the discussion.

There are simple interfaces which are pratically independant of the
operating systems in the station: the mail and the web interfaces
(why not sticking to them?).

As for our experience, one part is probably too ambitious (expensive)
for what we want to do here as it includes many value addes services
which may not be required. Whoever is interested may check
http://funredes.org/emec
(EMEC= Efficient Management of Multilingual Electronic Conferemce).
This has been tested few years ago within the http://funredes.org/mistica
project and was technically supported by an ad-hoc open source platform.

And the other one is a simple and unexpensive combination use of mail
and translation program. See for instance http://funredes.org/salsa
We could consider creating a value added service such as this one
in any discussion list and could perform a more efficient interface
allowing subscription by language instead of concatening contributions
and translations in a single mail.

If what you are looking for is a multi-lingual CHAT, then check out the service
named QOPUCHAWI offered by Bolivian Ivan Guzman de Rojas and which is
supported by its original translation program called ATAMIRI:
http://www.atamiri.cc/es/Atamkatiri/index.html
You have to download a client and then you will be able to
enter in a chat where the messages will be automatically translated in
4 different languages (with a spectacular response time).

The same person is offering as a benchmark a simple webforum system
with automatic translation imbedded. Could be an alternative to try.
Check: www.atamiri.cc/aynisiwi

If there is interest with the two later contact:
Iván Guzmán de Rojas <igr at atamiri.cc>

Best,