[WSIS CS-Plenary] RE: Call for silence

info at virtualactivism.net info at virtualactivism.net
Thu Sep 23 09:30:46 BST 2004

A final comment from me on this issue:
The problem I see has to do with the human rights issue in general,
which is why I am saying it is a final comment from me since this is not
the place for its debate. In any lecture/talk/class I give about human
rights in the Arab World and about that pretext issue of cultural
specificity and universality, I always say that there is a fine line
between supporting and showing solidarity on the one hand, and being
aggressive and 'attacking' on the other. No one listens to attacks. And
if anyone listens, it will be done, if ever, with resentment. [Like the
current policy of the US towards the Mideast].
The best way is always to support and show solidarity. If the Tunisians
are not speaking out, we cannot speak.. but they ARE speaking out, and
we are showing solidarity - not only as 'Westerners' but also as Arabs
and as individuals who believe in the universality of human rights.

Sometimes it is not appropriate to be aggressive unnecessarily. I have
Western students all the time who tell me we will go and speak our minds
no matter what because it is a 'human rights issue'. I think this is a
wrong approach and it will only morally satisfy the speaker. If the
speaker wants results, there is a different way. We need to always take
into consideration local issues lest we end up doing more harm than
good, mostly to those we are trying to 'save' or 'protect' or show
solidarity with. It is about doing a logical yet moral assessment, and
knowing when to speak our minds either aggressively or calmly. This,
again, does not exclude being aggressive at times, nor speaking out our
minds.
Apologies for any diversion. I think we do need to get back to business.

:-)

Marlyn Tadros, Ph.D
Executive Director
http://www.mengos.net