[WSIS CS-Plenary] ITID's The World Summit in Reflection

Elizabeth Carll, PhD ecarll at optonline.net
Thu Apr 7 00:34:55 BST 2005

Dear Milton, Lisa, Francis, and all.

Thank you for the point-counterpoint to help clarify.  My response was
specifically focused on the ITID's special WSIS issue which is available
free online.  It was not intended to address the big heated picture on
copyrights and intellectual property.

There are many interesting factors especially the "publish or perish"
mentality in academia. The need to publish in credible mainstream
publications is a reality for many.

BTW, those of us who are full-time practitioners/consultants view it as
"publish and perish" as in contrast to academicians, it takes time away from
income producing activities.  Those of us who are full-time
practitioners/consultants and publish often are looked upon as rare birds
( perhaps with diminished incomes and/or annoyed neglected families).  It
was also one of the reasons why I advocated that members of caucuses and
working groups should NOT be required to attend EVERY PrepCom.  Otherwise
special interest groups will be composed primarily of staff people/employees
of large/well funded NGOs or academicians and would discriminate against the
diversity of CS.

Elizabeth

Dr. Elizabeth Carll
Focal Point to WSIS
International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies;
Chair, Media/ICT Working Group,
UN NGO Committee on Mental Health, New York