[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] RE: [Africa-CS-WSIS]Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] SV: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Déclaration de la Société Civile SMSI - Version DRAFT en Français PROPOSITIONS DE CORRECTION

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Thu Dec 15 13:16:40 GMT 2005

Dear Partnership Coordinator
As a president of a french NGO acting in close partnership with our African NGO counterparts and village organisations for connecting remote villages to the telecommunications network, I  feel very uncomfortable in this discussion. Because our organisation didn't agree to participate in the Tunis Summit for obvious Human Rights issues faced by the citizens in this country especially in the field we are to promote : free access for all to information and communication.  May I recall you that this is the basic statement in the CS WSIS Declaration of Geneva and even one of the main objectives of the Declaration of Principles all gouvernements signed at the Geneva Summit ?
I'd just mention an event which took place yesterday in the European Parliament : the Sakharov prizegiving by the President of the EP on behalf of all MEPs. One of the three prizewinners were Mrs Ibrahim, a Nigerian Advocate and chair of a West African NGO, for her daily battle for the respect of Human Rights and Gender Equality in her country. I listened carefully to her discourse and didn't find any difference in her analysis and concepts on these issues with ours in the "North". And she stressed any kind of HR misuse and non respect, even quoting the Tunesian one.
You mustn't mistake those if us who try to do their best for narrowing the digital divide especially for the poorest (and always keep in mind the respect of basic HR) with those who are supposed to make "propaganda" and try to "make the Summit fail".  This isn't only a great mistake but also is heavily offending all the real friends of Africa around the world.
Best
Jean-Louis Fullsack
> Message du 14/12/05 07:16
> De : "bapdem pierre"
> A : africa at wsis-cs.org, plenary at wsis-cs.org
> Copie à : "Causus africa" , wsis-finance at yahoogroupes.fr
> Objet : [WSIS CS-Plenary] RE: [Africa-CS-WSIS]Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] SV: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Déclaration de la Société Civile SMSI - Version DRAFT en Français PROPOSITIONS DE CORRECTION

from: Pierre Chekem
Partnership Coordinator
P.O.Box 7124 Doula, Cameroon
tel(237)7779962
http://www.wagne.net/partners

Douala, 13thDecember 2005.

As participant to the Tunis Summit and member of the African civil
society, may I recall that we were very surprised by the propaganda
organised by many non African media against the summit.

Despite the efforts deployed to make the summit fail, we know that
this summit was one of the UN most successful one organised.

I understand that men and women can disagree even on human
rights issues since the priorities of Africa maynot be the priorities
of other continents. But as civil society organisations, we must
reach a fair consensus and generally agree on our differences
when they arise. Publishing as consensus a unilateral position
may not be fair.

Somebody should care somewhere on the false image of Africa
portrayed by the majority of western media and fair communication
and consensus among civil society organisations can help in this.

I wish to thank all those who don't  only keep a false image of
what happen in the Tunis summit..

Yours sincerely,

Pierre Chekem
Partnership Coordinator,

Click http://wsis.funredes.org/acsis/ to access automatic translation of this message!
> _______________________________________
>
> Dear Rikke,
> Sorry, i red your message after sending mine, calling
> colleagues to stop if possible this debate.
> I do not agree with your explanation and as long as we
> dont agree on a commun version you cannot consider it
> as a consensual one.
> You can if you want propose a new text indicating that
> the CS has been divided and report on the two
> versions, but please don't take an unilateral
> position....
> best regards
>
> Je ne partage pas la proposition de Rikke et je
> préfère personnellement que dans le texte il y ait une
> indication sur les deux positions et interprétations
> de la société civile en la matière. Sinon nous
> tirerons les conséquences d'une disposition prise
> unilatéralement.
> Amitiés
>
> --- Rikke Frank Joergensen wrote:
>
> > Dear nana and all
> >
> > The CSIS was not a parallel event to WSIS (the ones
> > which took place at the official space as part of
> > the official agenda), but a side event. Its normal
> > procedure at UN Summits to hold side events, outside
> > the official summit space and open to the general
> > public, incl. non accredited entities. CSIS was such
> > an event and was publicly announced and recognised
> > by the WSIS secretariat and govn. delegations
> > several weeks before the summit. We even had formal
> > correspondence with diplomates who wanted to attend
> > CSIS as speakers or audience.
> >
> > I believe its important to flag in a
> > "fair-to-the-facts way" the obstacles which CS met
> > in holding the side events both in Geneve (We Seize)
> > and in Tunis (CSIS). I actually think it would be
> > unfair to ask us to delete such important
> > information. To my mind, the formulations in the
> > current draft by ralf are as diplomatic as we can
> > reasonably expect to be. I hope we can agree to this
> > language.
> >
> > best
> > Rikke

Nouveau : téléphonez moins cher avec Yahoo! Messenger ! Découvez les tarifs exceptionnels pour appeler la France et l'international. Téléchargez la version beta.