[WSIS CS-Plenary] UN Official Document System is online

Jonathan Cave j.a.k.cave at warwick.ac.uk
Thu Jan 6 16:02:16 GMT 2005

Thanks to Rik for a balanced and useful intervention and to all others
participating.

There are lots of people/entities cozying up to M$ - this is part of the
'natural' winner-takes-all dynamics of proprietary standards (early leads
are hard to overcome and can become de facto standards). It is certainly a
conscious part of M$ strategy.

 From the European perspective, it is interesting that the IE-free version
of Windows required by the settlement with M$ probably would not work with
ODS either.

But the bottom line is network externalities: the more who use this
'standard' the more dominant it becomes. This can justify lots of apparent
altruism: giving SW to 'public' organisations, schools etc.; cooperatively
developing new applications for 'worthy' recipients; endowing
higher-education institutions and research; and even turning a blind eye to
'IPR violations' - as long as the knock-on effects of these 'loss leaders'
bring lots of new customers who have to interact with the recipients of
this generosity, it pays for itself.

Rik is absolutely right about the values of openness, transparency and
involving users in product development. Perhaps this could be ca concrete
CS recommendation for eGovernment and eParticipation initiatives that use
the Internet.

Cheers,

J.