[WSIS CS-Plenary] Preparing for PrepCom 2

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 18 10:43:02 GMT 2005

Thanks, Robert for trying to getting us onto some of to focus on the
most pressing, practical concerns.

On your points:

On Jan 16, 2005, at 10:01 AM, Robert Guerra wrote:

> Reading the ongoing discussion that is going on, has me thinking if
> the same energy and great effort being expended could not also be used
> for another very important issue - that of starting to prepare,
> organizing and discussing the coming PrepCom 2...
>
> It is my view that in addition to an ongoing debate and/or discussion
> we need, we must also start focusing our attention on the coming
> prepcom...
>
> Here's my list of suggested list of items that I think we should start
> planning for:
>
> * A debriefing session for the different working groups and caucuses -
> Where each group could update each other on activities we've been
> involved in and the try to agree on objectives to achieve for Week 1 &
> 2 of the prepcom

My understanding is that there will be time set aside for a general
overview of the different caucuses and working groups as well as
breakout sessions for them on the Feb 14 orientation sessions organized
by CONGO and others.

> * Press Briefings -
> This was done very effectively at really only PrepCom 1 of the first
> phase. It would be good to organize a daily public press briefing

Frankly I see very little purpose to this at this point in the
negotiations to do a big press outreach effort.  Going in to prepcom
II, there really isn't much newsworthy to report, except possibly some
response from CS to the TFFM.  Perhaps the Financing WG could approach
some press people and tell us if there is any interest in a press
briefing.

At Prepcom III we will lots of final negotiations and preparations for
the actual summit, so some press work then would be more warranted I
think.

> * Meeting with the governments
> As in the past, I think it would be quite effective to try to arrange
> one or more meetings with the regional blocks such as the EU, Africa,
> GRULAG etc.  For this it would be good to start planning already.

Yes, I'm in full support in seeing if we can sit together with some of
the regional blocs.  We have not done this enough.

> * Building an online resource for the CS delegates .
> Given enough time - something we have now -  an online resource of
> some kind could be setup so that not only do we know how to get in
> touch with each other, but also what our common positions and
> objectives are for the meeting.
>
> * Communications
> One of the issues that came up in this month's public voice
> teleconference is that we need to better share news and updates that
> are going on.
>
> I for one have started a blog to keep this caucus and others informed
> on my wsis activities. If you have a blog, or know others who do -
> please let me know so that I can feed them into the WSIS news section
> on my site. http://www.privaterra.org/activities/wsis/blog/

I think Andy Carvin had also proposed setting up a CS WSIS news
aggregator, combining blogs and other news feeds.  So yeah, this would
be a good idea.

Rik Panganiban
CONGO

RIK PANGANIBAN       Communications Coordinator
Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United Nations
(CONGO)
web: http://www.ngocongo.org
email: rik.panganiban at ngocongo.org
mobile: (+1) 917-710-5524