[WSIS CS-Plenary] Spam as an issue

Taran Rampersad cnd at knowprose.com
Sun Jan 30 20:50:58 GMT 2005

Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> avri at acm.org ha scritto:
>
>> I see no reason why a transit provider or provider on the receiving
>> end does not have the right to filter traffic they find unacceptable
>> and I don't think that regulations barring someone from taking such
>> defensive action is something to wish for.
>

> I'm not advocating regulation... still, the idea that my ISP is
> encouraged to intercept my private correspondence, filter it, and
> decide what I get and what I don't get, is something that worries me a
> lot. I'd just like to know that whoever maintains the filters does so
> in a transparent and accountable way, and that it's not under the
> monopoly or de-facto monopoly of any company or group or crazy
> individual or whatever - because you could theoretically switch filter
> provider, but in fact 99,99% of the world will use the default one
> (see at the voice "alternative root server systems" ;-) ).

CARNIVORE. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnivore_(FBI)

It's been said that Carnivore and applications like it may be in use by
governments.

So part of the role of the WGIG might be to discuss what governments can
regulate within their country that does not violate the human rights
declared within the U.N. Charter.

--
Taran Rampersad

cnd at knowprose.com