[WSIS CS-Plenary] Global Alliance: Consultation

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 12 17:09:15 GMT 2005

Dear all,

Here are my notes from a briefing with Saburland Khan last week in New
York with CONGO on the Global Alliance:

Saburland Khan, Director of the UN Division for ECOSOC Support and
Coordination and head of the UN ICT Task Force, updated CONGO at its
board meeting last week on the proposed "Global Alliance for ICT
Development."

  Mr. Khan noted that the purpose of the Global Alliance would be to
"integrate ICTs into the overall UN development agenda." So the
alliance will bring together the WSIS implementation efforts with the
Millennium Development Goals and the broader UN development agenda, as
encompassed in the UN Millennium Declaration and the various UN
conferences on women, sustainable development, population, social
development, etc.

I pressed him on the question of what would happen if the WSIS did not
formally recognize the Global Alliance as the overall coordinating body
for the WSIS follow-up and implementation process. I noted that there
were other "contenders for the crown" including the ITU.

  Mr. Khan replied that the Global Alliance was not going to be
primarily about WSIS follow-up, but had a much broader purpose and
agenda.

  In terms of process, Mr. Khan reported that the idea of the Global
Alliance was introduced at the last UN ICT Task Force meeting in
Berlin, and was initially well received. At the WSIS Prepcom II there
were consultations on the Global Alliance concept, with large
participation by civil society, as well as the private sector and
governments.

Consultations will continue until mid-April with various stakeholders
on the Global Alliance. At the next UN ICT Task Force meeting in April
in Dublin, these consultations will be brought together.

  On 13 September they plan to hold a roundtable in New York on the
Global Alliance, and then to formally launch the Alliance at the WSIS
in November in Tunis.

Rik Panganiban

On Mar 10, 2005, at 4:52 PM, karen banks wrote:

> dear all,
>
> Some of you may recall the open meeting on the proposed 'Global
> Alliance'.
>
> Several delegates expressed concerns about the proposal, made concrete
> suggestions, asked probing questions and were keen to have further
> information.
>
> The UNICT TF has created a space on it's website for feedback,
> comments etc to the concept note
> posting here for your info.
>
> If you have any difficulties with the website, or have any other
> questions, i imagine Serge Kapto who works at the secretariat, would
> be happy to field questions (kapto at un.org).
>
> karen
>
>> Dear colleagues,
>>
>> During the Second Preparatory meeting (PrepCom2) of the WSIS, the Task
>> Force recently launched a series of open consultations on the idea of
>> Global Alliance on ICT and Development. As part of this process, the
>> Secretariat of the Task Force prepared a "Note on issues for
>> stakeholders
>> consideration". We encourage you, members of the Task Force Working
>> Groups
>> and Regional Nodes, to take part in these consultations by reviewing
>> the
>> above mentioned note which you can find at
>> http://www.unicttaskforce.org/perl/documents.pl?id=1443
>>
>> A space has been provided on the website through the link above to
>> allow
>> posting of your comments/concerns/suggestions. Please let us know
>> what you
>> think.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Secretariat of the UN ICT Task Force

RIK PANGANIBAN       Communications Coordinator
Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United Nations
(CONGO)
web: http://www.ngocongo.org
email: rik.panganiban at ngocongo.org
mobile: (+1) 917-710-5524