[WSIS CS-Plenary] What's happening? News coverage

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Fri Nov 18 08:47:34 GMT 2005

The same happened in France : all most important newspapers reported daily on the "Tunis events" -mainly focused on HR underrmining- and mentioned the WSIS' main goals. Of course, Internet was the center of interest up to now.
This interest of the French press and media on WSIS outcomes wasn't as important during the Geneva Sulmmit.
Should we thank Ben Ali for such a promotion ?
All the best for you
Jean-Louis Fullsack
CSDPTT

> Message du 17/11/05 11:03
> De : "Jim McDonnell"
> A : plenary at wsis-cs.org
> Copie à :
> Objet : Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] What's happening? News coverage
>
> [Please note that by using 'REPLY', your response goes to the entire list. Kindly use individual addresses for responses intended for specific people] Click http://wsis.funredes.org/plenary/ to access automatic translation of this message! _______________________________________ Hi Karen et al,
>
> Some links to the way the Summit is being reported in the press.
>
>  From here in London I notice that the WSIS has got much more coverage since the Tunisian authorities intensified their repression.  The Guardian piece quotes Steve Buckley and the Independent also ran an editorial on the Internet governance issue (unfortuntaely that piece is ion subscription) calling for ther US to be more flexible as well as giving over its front page to the Censorship issue.
>
>  Good luck to all in Tunis. I'll do my best to get news and information circulated as widely as possible.
>
> Jim

Dr Jim McDonnell, MCIPR
Director of Advocacy and Public Relations
SIGNIS (World Catholic Association for Communication)

134 Worple Road
London SW19 4JF, U.K.
Tel: +44 (0) 208 946 3631
GSM:+44 (0) 7860 920 710
jimmcdonnell at blueyonder.co.uk

SIGNIS General Secretariat:
Rue Du Saphir 15
1030 Brussels - BELGIUM
Tel:+32 (0)2 734 97 08
Fax: +32 (0)2 734 70 18

EU attacks police tactics at Tunis internet conference
The European Union has made a formal complaint to the Tunisian government on the eve of a world internet summit in Tunis over heavy-handed police tactics.
Full story by Kieren McCarthy in The Guardian November 16, 2005

> On the line: the Internet’s future
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->
Daniel Howden, The Independent, November 16th

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/article327341.ece

> Tunisia chided over web censorship
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->
Victoria Shannon, International Herald Tribune, November 16th
http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/11/16/business/censor.php

Internet governance remains in US hands