[WSIS CS-Plenary] Plenary speakers in Tunis : why not focus on the themes ?

lissjeffrey at sympatico.ca lissjeffrey at sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 5 17:18:55 BST 2005

Hi all:
The issue of the representativeness, legitimacy, transparency, and
accountability of CS has always been lurking in this process. It is so
predictable, and if we fail to reach consensus on  " representiveness " in
this designation process, this could be used against us; so for better or
worse, we must figure this out and be smart about it. I am not the only one
who has called attention to this gap between our rhetoric and our actions on
numerous occasions in Canada and elsewhere. It is good to see some who had
not previously considered this question important now take an utterly
different position. Progress is being made!

Bertrand, I support your good idea below, and have a couple of observations:

1. Can the speakers designated so far and with care and concern for other
factors (gender, geography, CS groups, etc) possibly map themselves, or be
matched to the ten topical themes? How can this be decided? Who can do this?
Maybe your idea of the 10 working groups for CS topics can do this? Still
need to coordinate of course.

2. Would any of those speakers be willing to work with a more high profile
person as a kind of "co-presenter"? (No I do not mean physically, only one
speaker at a time, and we all know the limits here -- see point 3 below.)

3. Might it be possisble to identify a "CS buddy system" so that eg. if some
high visibility, high profile media magnet like Berners Lee, Barlow, were
nominated, or desired, they might partner with an involved, committed Wsis
CS designate on one of the ten topics.

How:
Pick someone on the current CS List (the spread sheet we received on
Saturday) and match to themes 1-10. Bertrand has set out which groups might
be relevant to which topics, but no names.
He has suggesated 10 working groups. We could propose, and groups might
agree on a "high profiler" who matches the topic.
Make a match.

This idea is workable, as what  we would need is to match Wsis involved
person and visibility profile person - could be via email, on the telephone,
and even better face to face. This way the "name"/"face" could be informed
on the process, and the more Wsis experienced, and less visible person could
attract attention by association. Maybe it could in some cases work in
reverse: someone nominated and unknown could carry the speech with passion
and direct experience, and the name/face could support and lend their aura
for the promotion of the case.
Let's reality check here. High profile means media attention, maybe public,
maybe head of state attention - and there are various ways to do this. Of
course no one likes to be in the shadows but alas we are not all high
visibility. ( Even Wsis which I called the "invisible summit", seems to be
looking more attractive judging by fact high profilers are now starting to
want to get into the speaking slots.
Progress!

But celebrity alone  cannot be allowed to trump the ideas and understandings
and principled compromises forged in this process by CS, much less the
painful and emergent process itself, flawed as it may be.
(for the record, I know and like Barlow, and he would be great, albeit I am
not sure he would make the case that some may assume he would make. )
I shall not comment on the enduring tensions and disagreements in CS on
content and positions - these tensions are just there, and what may save
this process from further fracturing is the tight time frame of the
presentations. As many of you have said we must now focus on our grounds for
agreement, not the many points of contention.

If you think about this buddy system approach, policy or government aides
working at Wsis and then advising and informing their heads of delgation, or
head of state, do somewhat the same thing.
Who gets the media to come? Not the aides. But the heads of state do not
just make it up as they go along. (Well most do not anyway.:(
Let's face it, we are all now trying to come up with creative strategies to
resolve problems that were predictable, were not seen by this committee
previously at least publicly, are now urgent, and  must be solved fast.

I am sure someone else will have a much better idea here, but please do not
reject this as too hard to do - it is not.
If we took account of the consistent concerns even on this list - North
America and Canada; grassroots caucus; gender sensitivity; duplication of
some committees; and more,
If we tried a linking strategy of celebrity name/face/ repurtation and Wsis
experienced (buddy system?),
did not permit freelancing of celebrities at this time,
but tried to ensure a balanced selection of 10 speakers on 10 topics as CS
nominees as Bertrand suggests, we might get an optimum:
people who could reflect the history and issues struggled with so far in
Wsis,
people who have given a lot to this process, but who should not be entitled
to be insiders and have an automatic monopoly on the speaking slots,
people who also should not be displaced completely by those who have done
nothing so far in the process ( for good reasons no doubt),
and attention due to infusion of new people whose credibility rests more on
their celebrity and visibility or reputation for knowledge in related areas,
but who would doubtless have to get up to speed on Wsis issues.

We know heads of state or even corporate chiefs get informed by aides who
slug it out n the process, or witness, and then those heads come or do not
come,
and only then is the Summit an event.
IF the human rights issues in Tunisia can be addressed so that it is
possible to hold (as the Canadian delgation said at Prep com 3 2005) a
summit in and not on Tunisia (and I may be in minority but I consider this a
very serious obstacle still) we need IMO to create something like a CS buddy
system.

endorse or amend the 10 themes
select 10 representatives from the Oct 1 2005 designated list wiith
inclusion of some of the missing categories or groups

discuss, debate, add usual constructive backroom insider resolutions
select 10 high profile 'buddies' to match the 10 themes and their
representatives

With input and some criteria (see celebrity should not trump Wsis CS process
and ideas above)
match CS reps with high profilers
designate and endorse who should make the presentation and who should help.

We can do it. It sounds more complex than it really is, and I suspect there
is a lot of will to get to some kind of resolution.

4. Finally, I continue to consider it a mistake to neglect voices from
Canada, North America. Topics of Human rights, gender, cultural diversity
have been strong contributions from Canada (even if this is not perfect of
course). This concern is not about geographic representation for its own
sake; it is about inclusion of a full spectrum of key stakeholders in a
global dialogue. It is about including some  CS people in the area where the
Internet was developed (like it or not). Likely we would not wish to have
the CS high profilers be North American (Barlow, Charles Taylor eg.),
however maybe a strategy of CS buddy system might help us get the best of
all worlds whil making the most of multistakeholderismr?

This proposal is also about recognizing who will be needed there after the
speeches are done in Tunis, to keep us on the road to implementation. We
will all need to work together, so there would be a price paid for
abandoning the on the ground CS hard workers, and Canada/ North American
candidates  in favour of high profilers or others at this last stage.

Just my Canadian two cents while travelling!
Liss Jeffrey, PhD
Director
McLuhan global research network
& eCommons/agora