[WSIS CS-Plenary] speakers list transmitted to the ITU

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 10 18:06:48 BST 2005

Dear friends,

Please find below the final list of recommended speakers from civil
society for the WSIS summit in Tunis that has been transmitted to the
ITU. This list is the result of wide consultations among the various
civil society entities, caucuses and working groups involved in the
WSIS, and attempts to balance the various issue areas, interests and
concerns expressed by civil society in the process.  The final list
was drawn up by a selection committee composed of representatives of
our regional caucuses as well as a member of the civil society Bureau
and Content and Themes group.

Here is the breakdown:

Opening Ceremony: Gender: 1 woman and 1 man / Region: 1 Europe, 1
Latin America Caribbean
High Level Panel: Gender: 2 women, 3 men / Region: 3 Asia Pacific, 2
Africa
Roundtables: 5 women, 3 men / Region: 1 Latin America Caribbean, 1
North America , 3 Europe, 2 Africa, 1 Asia Pacific
Plenary: Gender: 11 women, 15 men / Region: 10 Africa, 6 Europe, 5
Asia, 4 North America, 1 Latin America

As we understand the process, the Secretary General of the WSIS, Mr.
Utsumi, will recommend to the President of the WSIS the entire
package of speakers to speak from the various stakeholders.  The
President of the WSIS will then make the final determination as to
who will speak and when at the Summit.

In order to assist Mr. Utsumi and the President of the WSIS in
determining the final speakers from civil society in Tunis, we
suggest the following procedure:

1.    All recommended speakers or their nominating entities should
forward to the selection committee the CV or brief biography of the
nominee as well as short summary (1 paragraph) of what the individual
proposes to speak about. These should be sent to
rik.panganiban at ngocongo.org by 1800 hours EST, Wednesday 12 October.

2.    These CVs and summaries will be compiled into an annex to be
transmitted to the ITU and made available to the CS Plenary.

3.    The WSIS secretariat will make a final determination as to who
will speak in Tunis, with the final approval of the President of the
WSIS.

The WSIS executive secretariat will get back to us their initial
feedback on this list, and any other specific information shortly.
Thanks again to everyone for your assistance in this difficult process.

Regards,

Rik Panganiban
on behalf of the Selection Committee

Yoshio Utsumi
Secretary-General
World Summit on the Information Society

Dear Mr. Utsumi:

Please find attached to this letter the recommended list of speakers
for the various speaking slots allotted to civil society during the
World Summit on the Information Society from November 16-18, 2005 in
Tunis, Tunisia.

This list is the result of wide consultations among the various civil
society entities, caucuses and working groups involved in the WSIS,
and attempts to balance the various issue areas, interests and
concerns expressed by civil society in the process.  The final list
was drawn up by a selection committee composed of representatives of
our regional caucuses as well as a member of the civil society Bureau
and Content and Themes group.

We will be happy to assist you in obtaining detailed CV’s and
suggested subject areas that each speaker would speak on if desired.
Please note that in the few instances where an individual has been
listed in more than one category, if that individual is chosen to
speak for one slot that they be removed from consideration for the
others.

We thank you for this opportunity to make the following
recommendations, and trust that it will receive your careful
consideration.  Please contact us if we can provide any further
assistance or guidance.

Sincerely,

Rik Panganiban
On behalf of the Civil Society Selection Committee

World Summit on the Information Society

Recommended Civil Society Speakers

Name
Nominating Entity
Accredited Organization (title)
Country
Opening Ceremony

Bissio, Roberto
APC
Instituto del Tercer Mundo, Director
Uruguay
Renate Bloem
NGO Community
Philanthropic Institutions
CONGO, President
Switzerland

High Level Panel

Buntan, Monthian
Disability Caucus
(Thailand Association of the Blind, President)
Thailand
Diouf , Pape
Caucus Africain
Diaspora Africaine pour la Société de l’Information, President

Senegal
Etta , Florence
Telecentres Caucus
(Kenya ICT Policy Project)
Kenya
Garcia-Ramilo, Concepcion
Asia-Pacific Caucus
APC, Womens’ Networking Support Programme, Global Coordinator

Philippines
Swaminathan, M S

M S Swaminatan Research Foundation, Chairman
India

Round Tables

Bissio, Roberto
APC
Instituto del Tercer Mundo, Director
Uruguay
Corriero, Jennifer
Canadian Civil Society, North American / European Caucus
TakingITGlobal, co-founder
Canada
Davies, Simon
Privacy and Security WG
(Privacy International, director)
United Kingdom
Etta, Florence
Telecentres Caucus
(Kenya ICT Policy Project)
Kenya
Ershova , Tatiana
Multi-Stakeholder Partnership Family
Institute of the Information Society, Director General
Russian Federation
Esterhuysen, Anriette
IG Caucus
Association for Progressive Communications, Executive Director
South Africa
Gurumurthy, Anita
Gender Caucus
IT for Change, executive director
India
White, Aidan
Media Caucus
International Federation of Journalists, Secretary General
Ireland

Name
Nominating Entity
Accredited Organization (title)
Country
Plenary

Barlow, John Perry

North American / European Caucus

Electronic Frontier Foundation, co-founder

USA

Barry, Boubacar

Caucus Africain

ENTIS, Executive  Secretary

Guinea

Ben Jemaa, Tijani

Science and Technology

WFEO - World Federation of Engineering Organizations, Vice Chairman
of CIC

Tunisia

Ben Marzouk, Mohamed Elyes

Caucus Arab

Organization Tunisienne de Jeunes Medecins sans Frontieres, President

Tunisia

Davies, Simon

CS Privacy and Security WG

(Privacy International, Director)

United Kingdom

de Kerckhove, Derrick

Canadian Network

McLuhan Program in Culture and Technology, Director

Canada

Esterhuysen, Anriette

IG Caucus

APC. Executive Director

South Africa

Etta, Florence

Telecentres Caucus

(Kenya ICT Policy Project)

Kenya

Faidutti, Bruna

Human Rights Caucus

World Association of United Nations Associations, Geneva Director

USA/Italy

Frau-Meigs, Divina

Education , Research and Academia

IAMCR - International Association for Media and Communication
Research, Vice-president

France

Gauri, Latha

Grassroots Caucus

Oneworld International

India

Gross, Robin

North American / European Caucus

IP Justice, Executive Director

USA

Jeet   Singh, Parminder

West-Asia Region

IT For Change, Executive Director

India

Khemakhem, Jameleddine

Child Rights Caucus

ATUDE - Association tunisienne des droits de l'enfant, Secretary General

Tunisia

Krebs,Viola

Volunteer Family &  North American / European Caucus

ICV - International Conference Volunteers, Director

Switzerland

Lohento, Ken

(PANOS, NTIC Coordinator)

Nigeria

Muguet, Francis

Scientific Information WG

Global Knowledge Partnership

France

Nana, Delphine

Caucus Africain

Centre féminin pour la promotion du développement, Coordinatrice
Générale

Cameroon

Njenga, Emmanuel

Caucus Africain

APC

Kenya

Pazello, Magaly

Gender Caucus

DAWN Network, WSIS focal point

Brazil

Sagun, Robert

Youth Caucus

SchoolNet Africa, WSIS Policy Coordinator

Philippines

Sarker, Partha

Asia Regional Caucus, Telecentres Caucus

(Bytes for All, co-founder) APC

Bangladesh

Shirley Jr., Joe

OCCAM, Navajo Nation

Navajo Nation, President

USA

Tahmasebi, Susan

West-Asia Region

Iranian Civil Society Organizations Training & Research Center

Iran

White, Aidan

Media Caucus

  International Federation of Journalists, Secretary General

Ireland

Zulu, Brenda

Media Caucus

APC