[Wsis-pct] Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] CS speakers from ITU for opening, roundtable and high level panel

Georg C. F. Greve greve at fsfeurope.org
Thu Oct 13 20:37:42 BST 2005

 || On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:37:49 -0400
 || Robert Guerra <rguerra at lists.privaterra.org> wrote:

 rg> an alternate name, one that keeps the regional balance could be
 rg> Mark Shuttleworth from South Africa. He's definitely higher
 rg> profile than Marzouk and is also one of the key persons behind
 rg> the Ubuntu linux distribution.

While I very much value the work he has been doing with the Ubuntu
distribution, I don't think that Mark Shuttleworth could speak with
similar backing for and of the movement for software freedom.

So I obviously fully agree that he would be a much better replacement
for Marzouk, but would not consider him an alternative to Richard
Stallman.

 rg> 9. What's left - Plenary sessions..

 rg> - that being said, again - the principle of gender and regional
 rg> balance should be kept. There are two names from the USA at the
 rg> moment - Robin Gross and John Perry Barlow. Robin has accepted
 rg> and will be at the summit. Barlow, has yet to confirm that he can
 rg> come. [...]  So an easily solution would be to get Richard get in
 rg> touch with Barlow to see if he in fact is going or not.  If not,
 rg> we might have a solution.

Is John aware that Richard has been removed from the list?

I'd be quite surprised to find him approving -- and it seems unfair to
put the pressure to step down in favor of Richard on him in
particular.

Regards,
Georg

--