[WSIS CS-Plenary] PCT WG endorsement of Ms. Shirin Abadi as opening speaker for Civil Society

Georg C. F. Greve greve at fsfeurope.org
Wed Oct 19 18:32:15 BST 2005

Dear Meryem Marzouki,

please add the Patents, Copyrights and Trademarks (PCT) Working Group
of Civil Society to the list of groups supporting Ms. Shirin Abadi as
opening speaker for Civil Society.

The PCT working group has been working hard to see issues of
intellectual wealth for all of humankind addressed properly by Civil
Society and consequently the WSIS. The same goes for questions of
digital freedom and equality, which we consider essential for a
democratic digitised society in which human rights prevail.

Everywhere in the world, human rights cannot be protected in the
digital domain if they are lost in the physical world.

Conversely, justice for all, in all areas, cannot be enforced if laws
and practises concerning the digital domain are not reflecting the
overall advances of Human Rights.

That is why we have chosen to support Ms. Shirin Abadi.

In the spirit of our ongoing cooperation with and support for the
Human Rights Caucus, we also gladly offer ourselves to Ms Abadi for a
discussion on how human rights can be preserved in the transition to
the digital age: After all our speakers have been excluded and denied
their chance to speak, we hope she will help ensure that our cause is
not silenced entirely.

With best regards,

Georg Greve and Francis Muguet

PCT Working Group Co-Coordinators