[WSIS CS-Plenary] Evaluation and documentation of CS in WSIS

Tracey Naughton tracey at traceynaughton.com
Tue Jan 24 10:34:30 GMT 2006

Hello All

I am fascinated that the need for CSB 'reform' persists. I have a
different view that concurs with that submitted by Al Alegre. My view
is that the role of the CSB concluded at the end of the WSIS
negotiations and that the thread that links that process with on
going discussions is the Internet Governance Caucus, though this may
well limit the topics worthy of on-going efforts.

I believe that the structures that were developed within WSIS, their
method of formation, the terms under which they worked (equally the
lack of terms though it should be remembered that the WGWM developed
a CSB Charter) need to be documented for the sake of posterity, to
advance multi-stakeholder processes and as a starting point for
future civil society participants in global governance negotiations.
Such a documentation could also incorporate reflections on the
experience as proffered by those who wish to do so. The documentation
would be a quantitative contribution where as the reflections from
the willing and the connected would form a more textural analysis, or
a qualitative component.

Since CONGO was the Secretariat for the CSB and WSIS Plenary it would
seem the logical focal point for such a documentation and reflection.
However, given the pace at which that body has to move with UN
negotiations and the limitations of it's resources it may not be
possible. Such a work would likely require a focal point to galvanise
participation (as per the role of Ralph in the CS statement) and
resources.

I think it would be well worth doing but cannot quite see from where
I sit how it can be achieved.

Warm regards to all,

Tracey Naughton

Tracey Naughton
NYAKA
Communication for Development Consultant
201 Somerset Hall
239 Oxford Road
Illovo     2196
Johannesburg