[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [governance] Re: [Kofi Annan nominates IFGAdvisory Group

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Fri May 19 15:39:30 BST 2006

Well, in a sort of ironic way, Bill rephrased what MM is trying to
convey in somewhat harsher terms, and I did in statistical terms :)

History: what leads me to group ISOC and other people into the "Icann
system" bundle is precisely the performance described by Bill. In the
WGIG process, people linked to the Icann system (from RIRs, from the
Board, from ISOC) consistently sided with proposals tending to "hands
off the Internet governance as it is" or "do not mess with what is not
broken" or "let the private sector do it". So, OK, several of these
might be members of civil society organizations (Icann itself included
-- whatever the manipulations and subordinations, it is a California
NGO). In the CMSI process as a whole, a similar behavior by this group
was clear, usually getting aligned with USA positions and the business
community positions -- resulting in resisting bravely to the IGF idea
until almost the end (when it was de facto approved as the European
"permanent assembly" finally budged, they changed sides rapidly...).

So, indeed, it is curious to see so many of them in the MAG now after
this antagonistic record. BTW, Adam is *not* to be bundled with this
group -- I did not count him as part of the "system" and I am glad he
has been chosen.

fraternal rgds

--c.a.

William Drake wrote:
> [Please note that by using 'REPLY', your response goes to the entire list. Kindly use individual addresses for responses intended for specific people]
>
> Click http://wsis.funredes.org/plenary/ to access automatic translation of this message!
> _______________________________________
>
> Good morning Veni,
>
> I'm of course delighted to see that organizations and governments that opposed
> the creation of the IGF and/or don't want it to do anything "controversial" or
> "disruptive" like discuss problems with and public interest reforms of existing
> governance mechanisms will now play key roles in defining it agenda, and to
> learn that your leadership position in ICANN decision making has no bearing
> whatsoever on your views of ICANN-related issues.  As one of our civil society
> representatives on the mAG, could you outline which of the positions taken by
> the IG Caucus and CS Plenary over the past three years or advocated in the
> various CS proposals for the IGF agenda you will be advocating on our behalf?
>
> Look forward to working with you on this!
>
> Best,
>
> Bill
>
> Quoting Veni Markovski <veni at veni.com>:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> At 10:38 AM 19.5.2006 '?.'ÿÿˆö  +0900, Izumi AIZU wrote:
>>> I agree most of what Milton wrote, perhaps with more
>>> cautious tones than him.
>> I don't agree with "most of what Milton wrote".
>> Actually I read some bitterness between the
>> lines, but may be I am wrong, or may be my
>> understanding of English is different from yours.
>>
>>> First, congratulations to those who are selected out of
>>> our nomination/recommendation, Adam, Gemma, Jeanette
>>> Qusai and Robin.
>> Absolutely - quite well done! Congratulations!
>>
>>> But, what strikes me is, as Milton and many of you may feel the same way,
>>> dominance of government and "technical community" especially
>> >from ICANN stakeholders/operators, but very few from the Civil Society
>>> in a narrow sense.
>> Izumi, this strikes me, "CS in a narrow sense"? I
>> am part of the CS, and I don't accept if someone
>> will name is as part of the ICANN. I am a member
>> of the Board for a term; I am not staff. I don't
>> accept anyone to call me an "ICANN agent", and in
>> fact I find this unfair and quite rude.
>> Now, if you look at
>> http://www.intgovforum.org/contributions/IGF-themes.pdf
>> you will find out that CS (in the field of
>> critical Internet resources and public policy
>> issues, related to IG) according to the IGP
>> are... the IGP itself and ALAC? Is this CS in a [very] narrow sense?
>>
>> There are people from different organizations,
>> but they are staff, and they may have the right
>> to represent them. See Theresa (ICANN), Matthew
>> (ISOC), Patrik (IETF/IAB) - who, btw, is going to
>> be on the ISOC Board from July 1st, and others
>> representatives of the relevant international organizations.
>> But you seem to have missed something very
> [...]

Carlos A. Afonso
diretor de planejamento
Rits -- http://www.rits.org.br

* Projeto Sacix -- Pacote Linux orientado  *
* a projetos de inclusão digital com       *
* software livre e de código aberto,       *
* mantido pela Rits em colaboração com o   *
* Coletivo Digital.                        *
* Saiba mais: http://www.sacix.org.br      *