[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [governance] Re: [Kofi Annan nominates IFGAdvisory Group

Adam Peake (ajp at glocom.ac.jp) apeake at gmail.com
Fri May 19 15:51:34 BST 2006

During the IGF consultation this morning Brazil noted ICANN's heavy presence
on the advisory group. Specifically mentioned 4 ICANN people (I think he
means 3 board members + Theresa) and suggested it was therefore logical
ICANN should be a key issue for discussion.  Not many takers in the room for
the suggestion, but if ICANN did lobby for this outcome then I wonder if it
might backfire -- so many people on the MAG serves as a good reminder that
ICANN exists in this space and is a major player. Did someone just tie a
"kick me" label to ICANN's back?

Carlos, thanks for your comment.  My involvement with ICANN is as a member
of its nominating committee: we select people to serve in leadership
positions in the organization.

I would like even more of you to be involved in ICANN and you can do this by
submitting a Statement of Interest to the NomCom, please see <
http://www.icann.org/committees/nom-comm/>

Adam

On 5/19/06, Carlos Afonso <ca at rits.org.br> wrote:

> Well, in a sort of ironic way, Bill rephrased what MM is trying to
> convey in somewhat harsher terms, and I did in statistical terms :)
>
> History: what leads me to group ISOC and other people into the "Icann
> system" bundle is precisely the performance described by Bill. In the
> WGIG process, people linked to the Icann system (from RIRs, from the
> Board, from ISOC) consistently sided with proposals tending to "hands
> off the Internet governance as it is" or "do not mess with what is not
> broken" or "let the private sector do it". So, OK, several of these
> might be members of civil society organizations (Icann itself included
> -- whatever the manipulations and subordinations, it is a California
> NGO). In the CMSI process as a whole, a similar behavior by this group
> was clear, usually getting aligned with USA positions and the business
> community positions -- resulting in resisting bravely to the IGF idea
> until almost the end (when it was de facto approved as the European
> "permanent assembly" finally budged, they changed sides rapidly...).
>
> So, indeed, it is curious to see so many of them in the MAG now after
> this antagonistic record. BTW, Adam is *not* to be bundled with this
> group -- I did not count him as part of the "system" and I am glad he
> has been chosen.
>
> fraternal rgds
>
> --c.a.
>
> William Drake wrote:
> > [Please note that by using 'REPLY', your response goes to the entire
> list. Kindly use individual addresses for responses intended for specific
> people]
> >
> > Click http://wsis.funredes.org/plenary/ to access automatic translation
> of this message!
> > _______________________________________
> >
> > Good morning Veni,
> >
> > I'm of course delighted to see that organizations and governments that
> opposed
> > the creation of the IGF and/or don't want it to do anything
> "controversial" or
> > "disruptive" like discuss problems with and public interest reforms of
> existing
> > governance mechanisms will now play key roles in defining it agenda, and
> > learn that your leadership position in ICANN decision making has no
> bearing
> > whatsoever on your views of ICANN-related issues.  As one of our civil
> society
> > representatives on the mAG, could you outline which of the positions
> taken by
> > the IG Caucus and CS Plenary over the past three years or advocated in
> the
> > various CS proposals for the IGF agenda you will be advocating on our
> behalf?
> >
> > Look forward to working with you on this!
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Bill
> >
> > Quoting Veni Markovski <veni at veni.com>:
> >
> >> Hi.

> >> I don't agree with "most of what Milton wrote".
> [...]

Email from Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp>
Email from my Gmail account probably means I am travelling.  Please reply
to  <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> Thanks!