[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [governance] Re: [Kofi Annan nominates IFGAdvisory Group

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue May 23 05:57:10 BST 2006

Hi Veni,

On 5/19/06, Veni Markovski <veni at veni.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> At 10:38 AM 19.5.2006 '?.'ЪЪ┬Ж  +0900, Izumi AIZU wrote:
> >I agree most of what Milton wrote, perhaps with more
> >cautious tones than him.
>
> I don't agree with "most of what Milton wrote".

I find this to be a common occurrence ;-)

> Izumi, this strikes me, "CS in a narrow sense"? I
> am part of the CS, and I don't accept if someone
> will name is as part of the ICANN. I am a member
> of the Board for a term; I am not staff. I don't
> accept anyone to call me an "ICANN agent", and in
> fact I find this unfair and quite rude.

Well, not rude IMO, but certainly unfair.

The notion of a 4th stakeholders group got shot down on this list, yet
it has been "recreated" in the table sent by CA.  "ICANN system folk"
are CS.  (ISOC ppl are not part of ICANN system, tho they may be like
minded).

Some of these ppl have done more for the stability and growth of the
network than all of the rest of us combined ever will.  In the case of
some of the ppl on the list, they do it as volunteers.

Can't get more CS than that!

> >While there is seemingly "consensus" not to discuss ICANN related issues
> >here at IGF, but rather in the closed "enhanced cooperation" process,
> >then why so many ICANN related folks are here?
> >This is quite strange to me. Any explanation?
>
> Again - everyone is ICANN-related here. What
> about Adam Peak? Isn't he now on the NomCom? :)
>
> >Where are the spam, security, multilingual experts?

To answer Izumi, the "technical community folk" are the experts!  Ppl
like Patrick and Nii implement IDNs, DNSSEC, and a host of anti-spam
measures on their networks, AND teach many others in CS forums how to
do it!!

> >I think the Civil society memebrs there in Geneva should
> >express our initial serious concerns about the composition
> >and the direction of the MAG.
>
> We could do that, but let's not forget something
> else - CS got 5 out of 15 people suggested.
> that's 1 out of every 3. Not bad. And let's not
> forget that some of the suggested people were
> actually involved in the WSIS, WGIG, etc. Which
> means they can continue to contribute in one or
> another capacity. Or am I wrong?

no, you are not wrong.

--
Cheers,