[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: CS IGC IGF Statement

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Fri May 19 17:09:18 BST 2006

At 11:56 AM -0400 5/19/06, Veni Markovski wrote:
>At 11:47 AM 19.5.2006 '?.'ööÑ¶Ü  -0400, David Allen wrote:
>>I am unclear how this was released as a caucus
>>statement, without at least a little prior
>>consultation.  I can imagine a group present in
>>the meeting who put something together and then
>>present that as their position, 'by that
>>group.'  But the caucus as a whole?
>
>David, you are not reading what Wolfgang says,
>he said "on behalf of the present members of the
>Caucus" - so, I asume they have talked to each
>other in Geneva.

I am afraid, Veni, that the statement we receive
as an attachment - presumably in fact that heard
in and by the Consultation - does say 'members of
the Internet Governance Caucus.'  Not 'present
members.'  The 'present' terminology was used to
transmit the statement to the list - that does
not accord with the written and presumably
presented text.  The statement itself says
otherwise.

>>The text says  That does not effectively
>>distinguish from the Caucus itself, and it will
>>not be heard as doing so by the uninitiated.
>>Indeed, later text goes on to, for example,
>>'The Internet Governance Caucus is pleased with
>>...' and '... the Internet Governance Caucus
>>sees the ...,' clearly statements for and from
>>the caucus as a whole.
>
>But, I agree that they should have been more
>clear than they were. However, whatever is done,
>is done. Let's hope that from now on they will
>be more careful.

Beyond careful, that sort of integrity is of the
essence.  Without that, we can pack up our bags
and go, certainly when it come to any credibility.

>veni

David