[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [governance] Re: [Kofi Annan nominates IFGAdvisory Group

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Fri May 19 18:04:47 BST 2006

Izumi AIZU ha scritto:
> While there is seemingly "consensus" not to discuss ICANN related issues
> here at IGF, but rather in the closed "enhanced cooperation" process,
> then why so many ICANN related folks are here?
> This is quite strange to me. Any explanation?
>
> Where are the spam, security, multilingual experts?

I must confess I've totally lost sense of where the IGF is going - it
was supposed to deal with issues that weren't discussed anywhere else,
and there's plenty of REAL issues going on out there right now, such as
"net neutrality" or the mass introduction of trusted computing, that
will deeply affect the substantial developments taken by the Internet
and by the information society.

But it now looks that the composition of the advisory group (without
offense to the bright individuals and friends who have been selected
there, and to the incredibly hard and difficult work of the Secretariat)
resembles more a cold war scenario, with each side standing in force to
prevent the others from doing anything, than a cooperative environment
to discuss and solve actual problems. And, in any case, it really looks
like governments versus ICANN+ISOC+ICC, with a few civil society people
added as a fig leaf.

 From the point of view of civil society, most of the active and bright
contingent we had in the WGIG (keep me out of this category if you like,
as I wasn't even confirmed in the list of civil society nominees this
time) has been replaced by ICANN and ISOC people, and 2/3 of our
nominations have been rejected.

And if I may, this is what I think we should have said in a "caucus
statement" (not to open the can of worms on how in the world could
anyone think about making a caucus statement without even consulting the
list once).

Perhaps, this period of strong disappointments will pass, but it is now
clear to me that any of us could do better good by, say, writing free
code that allows users to affirm their rights, rather than by spending
time in these futile processes, where we can't get much more than some
ego satisfaction for the few of us that get their fifteen minutes of
fame on the lectern. There's no point in participating in "open" and
"democratic" and "inclusive" processes in which our desire to discuss
the issues we care about is constantly frustrated.

I'm glad I didn't waste one day of my life to come to Geneva today.