[WSIS CS-Plenary] Review of CS Bureau - long overdue and much needed

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Mon Oct 16 14:47:48 BST 2006

Dear colleagues:

Several months ago I asked a simple question, one that for some reason
has generated little discussion and comment - that being the future of
the Civil Society Bureau (CSB) as a structure and those elected (or
appointed) to serve on the body.

Much like the governance caucus has, I think the CSB must clearly
pronounce itself on how it sees its role, and how  its representatives
are selected .

Personally I believe the CSB has, in all extents and purposes served its
role - and is not longer providing any type of useful role. Perhaps I am
wrong..but i just can't agree with a structure that sees its represented
at entrenched in their positions. If the body is to represent in some
way CS, then it needs to periodically open itself for renewal and/or
elections.

I thus call for the members of the CSB to start an open
nomination/election process. The call needs to be preceded with a clear
statement on how the election will be run - specifically how transparent
it will be, and what specific "seats" are available.

Three key issues that need to be resolved :

1. What to do with the  "host country liaison" seat ? Is there a need to
 have such a position when there is no summit host country to dialogue
with ?

2. How many regional "seats" are to be allocated. Do we use the existing
structure ? If not, then a consensus must be reached on the # of regions
to be allocated. Possible bodies to use an example - UN, FIFA, ICANN,
Olympics, etc..

3. How can the election be overseen and run in a fashion that is
consistent with the core values of Civil Society @ WSIS ?

An election for the CSB seats is NO small task, but nonetheless -
something that is long overdue and much needed. How to proceed, well,
something that needs to be discussed..

regards

Robert