[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Me, ‘Person of the Year’? No thanks

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Thu Jan 4 19:42:55 GMT 2007

Dear Bertrand and all,

If we could combine Siva Vaidhyanathan's text with your formulation we
would have an excellent base for monitoring of trends regarding
empowerment/disempowerment of the community (and the commons) in cyberspace.

fraternal regards

--c.a.

Bertrand de La Chapelle wrote:
> Thanks Ralf for pointing to this post.
>
> I also read the Time issue very carefully. And what came to my mind is that
> this issue was not so much about "You" but about two major trends that
> structure today's cyberspace community : the "Me" trend and the "We" trend.
>
> The "Me" trend is about expression, individual voices, everybody's capacity
> to contribute and be recognized. It's the power of Blogs, posting of
> individual videos, etc... At best it is empowerment of the individual, the
> recognition that everybody can bring something to the community, a
> redistribution of power between the haves and the have not, a possible
> refoundation of democracy and a many to many interaction. At worst it can
> become a mere popularity contest, irrespective of the nature of the
> contribution to society, a marketing exploitation for maximum personnal
> profit and the aspiration of everybody to his/her wharolian 15 minutes of
> fame, just the usual desire for individual power through other means.
>
> The "We" trend is about community, sharing, collective intelligence and
> collaboration. It's the rise of the open source, creative commons and open
> acces movements, the success of wikipedia and the rating mechanisms of
> tagging sites. In its best form it is about the social fabric, about
> solidarity, the spreading of knowledge and respect gained from a
> disinterested contribution to the common good. At worst, it can be the
> refusal of any retribution for creative work, the exploitation of generous
> work by coporate interests, or ultimately the risk of a totalitarian
> preeminence of the community at the expense of individuals.
>
> Both trends are made possible by the technological innovations that emerged
> in the last years, and the fact that digital content is reproductible at
> almost no cost and therefore shareable if we want to.
>
> Individuals can be more of one fabric or the other but most people have
> both
> dimensions in varying degrees : we all are willing to contribute and share
> and at the same time want some recognition and reward. Both trends are
> positive but I believe even more so when they are combined. But both can be
> dangerous if they want to reign alone and refuse the existence of another
> model than their own.
>
> The challenge the global Internet community is facing is to find the
> appropriate rules for coexistence of the two facets, the best way to
> harness
> their positive potential and avoid their respective drawbacks, to design
> the
> best framework for everybody to feel at ease with one's personnal
> balance of
> choice and to create the maximum social and ecomonic value. Defining these
> rules and the appropriate decision-making procedures to elaborate them is,
> among other things, what Internet Governance is about. In other words :
> what
> [...]

Carlos A. Afonso
diretor de planejamento
Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor - Rits
http://www.rits.org.br