[WSIS CS-Plenary] OECD Civil society reference group & OECD 2008 Ministerial Meeting on the Future of the Internet Economy

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Jun 9 17:46:35 BST 2008

Hi, Francis:
The Reference Group was meant to be a temporary coalition to identify
groups in addition to EPIC that would make a commitment to put their
shoulders to the wheel to get the civil society involvement in the OECD
ministerial started. Before that EPIC (Public Voice) already had an
established relationship with OECD and had been running the process; the
OECD people wanted more groups involved but didn't know where to start.
There is no real governance structure for this group. The Public Voice
list is not run by the Ref Group, it is run unilaterally by EPIC.

As I recall, around the time of its recognition by the OECD meeting in
OCtober, a French delegate gave us a list of French CS organizations to
contact. They were duly contacted but none really came forward.

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org